Become a member
Joining ICOM is a commitment to be part of the international museum community.
ICOM membership is open to museums and galleries, their staff and volunteers, museum sector providers, museum retirees and students enrolled in related university courses.
Membership is from 1 January to 31 December, with renewals open from 1 October in the year prior.
ICOM membership requires you agree to the ICOM Code of Ethics. Take a few minutes to read this before you submit your application.
ICOM membership places you in a network of over 26,000 museum professionals of all disciplines working in 151 countries.
Individual membership benefits include:
- professional meetings and information exchange, access to 30 international committees
- free or discounted museum entry with your ICOM card worldwide at member museums
- ICOM international magazine, policy documents and museums standards which will inform and enhance your career.
- quarterly newsletter
- reciprocal benefits with Australian Museums and Galleries Association (including a 5% discount for AMaGA members)
- all of the individual membership benefits
- provision of three (3) and up to seven (7) ICOM cards depending on the level of membership
- grants personnel free entry to member museums internationally
- permits registration for three (3) and up to seven (7) individuals at relevant ICOM conferences and events
ICOM’s institutional members may be requested to show proof of their employment (eg.badge, official letter etc.) with the institutional member for entry to some museums.
Students of museum and gallery, curatorial, conservation and heritage studies programs in Australian Universities who are studying or researching full time are eligible to join.
Part-time and casual students who work in a museum, gallery or other community-based organisation may also be eligible for student membership. Students living in Australia and studying overseas you may also be eligible.
Please include proof of your enrolment with your online application.
Student members receive a card and have access to all the individual benefits except voting rights.
If you worked in a museum or gallery for most of your career, or within the last few years of your working life, or if you are a regular volunteer in the museum and gallery sector and a retiree you may be eligible to join ICOM.