ICOM Australia promotes and supports:
- international collaboration between museums and museum workers championing acceptance, understanding, sharing and exchange of ideas and resources
- understanding of global museum values and issues
- the work of colleagues in Australasia, Asia and the Indo-Pacific region
- the recognition and rewarding of good international museum practice and innovation
- the interests of members.
ICOM Australia recognises and acts upon the following core values:
- the power of human creativity and its contribution to understanding the past, shaping the present, and mapping the future
- the importance of global dialogue based on cultural and social diversity
- transparent dialogue about cross-cultural understanding and human rights
- the need for engagement with public issues of social change.